Marigolds for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by feeding frenzy, Feb 26, 2013.

1. feeding frenzy

feeding frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    I was reading about forage plants to sow in the backyard for my chickens. I've read that marigolds are good to feed chickens to keep away poultry mites and makes yolks more orange...in fact Peru plant fields of marigolds for chicken foraging. I read from a blog post that a lady used marigold balm to get rid of poultry mites. I was looking at the Dollar Tree store I found several different varieties and planning on planting them for my poultry.
    Have any one else use marigolds to add to chicken feed or as forage plant? If so, how

2. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I haven't but this is good to know!

3. No, but I think I see a new project coming on!!

4. GreenMountainEric

GreenMountainEric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont
    Keep it a small portion of their diet, or you will end up with yolks that are not of an appealing color. It takes very little Marigold to get a very dark yolk. (We typically use 1lb per ton of mixed layer feed, for each step on the "yolk color fan"). If your birds are pastured, you would want to keep their diet under .09% Marigolds (By weight). If they are not, you could probably go up to .15%- .2%.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. feeding frenzy

Oct 24, 2012
  6. feeding frenzy

Oct 24, 2012
    Here are some links to articles related to marigolds for poultry to darken chicken's yolk color

http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/chicken-scratch-zm0z02zsie.aspx#axzz2MAeoAik4-Source from Mother Earth News

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/aug/30/local/me-12517-Los Angeles Times

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/122359/feed-marigolds-to-chickens-for-darker-yolk-color/20--BYC

This will be my next project to grow feed for my chickens. I have started lemon balm seedlings in January. I'll be starting different varieties of marigolds and spinach mustard next!

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Marigolds are members of the chrysanthemum family. Marigold flowers and other flowers of the mums family have been used as a pesticide for at least 400 years.

The ingredient in marigolds that suppresses, kill, and repell lice and mites and darkens egg yokes is Permethrin, the same ingredient found in flea and tick spray. It is also used to kill cockroaches, ants and flies. In a higher concentration Permethrin is found in creams used on adults and children to kill scabies mites and head or body lice.
    Bad stuff that Permethrin!

If a commercial cage egg producer sprayed his chickens or their premises with Permeation those eggs or meat birds can not be sold for up to 8 weeks.

But if you call Permethrin a health food then I suppose that you can feed it to your chickens in unlimited quantities as an egg yoke color enhancer, and you can then sell those eggs as "organic" pesticide free eggs like nothing has changed, except that Permethrin color enhanced eggs contrast better with the egg buying publics' green breakfast ham. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some of us desperately need to think (not rethink) our opposition to things like modern agriculture or commercial egg production because it is clear that we haven't though it all the way through the first time.

8. yeah, if you feed too much, it can turn the yolks too dark to be appetizing...[​IMG]

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have never had a flock of chickens that would eat marigold flowers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by