Mario is a daddy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peacebird, Aug 27, 2007.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    The fluffen-nutters (cochins) went broody a month ago, [​IMG] and have continued to steal any eggs the tripplettes lay on the coop floor... We have pitched out about a dozen eggs that the broody pair have pushed out of their clutches but this morning I heard a totally new sound as I approached the coop - peeps! [​IMG]
    There are at least two puffballs - one yellow and one gray! I am leaving them with their mom, after all - she has sat in the coop through weeks of 100 degree weather to hatch them. That said - is there anything I can do to increase their chances? I put a waterer in the coop with pebbles in it so they wouldn't drown....
    Is there anything else I should do? I'm at work now, won't be able to check on them again til 5 when I get home.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck! Just make sure they are in a secure pen and they should be fine. With just two chicks, momma hen should be able to keep a watchful eye on them.

3. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    Today there were two new peeps! Four in all so far! They seem to be making there way around the coop floor without too much trouble....[​IMG]

4. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the babies with their mommas!!!! They went out of the coop and out of the run today! Brave little peeps for barely 3 days old!

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Oh how precious they are, congratulations.

6. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    They are absolutely beautiful, healthy looking chicks. [​IMG]

7. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    They ARE cute, aren't they!?! [​IMG]

They are doing so well so far! This morning was the first day they came out of the coop - I was amazed to see them follow their moms out of the coop this morning.... I was an hour late to work because I just had to watch them! LOL!

I always let the flock out when I get home from work for a couple hours but I was so surprised to see the cochins lead the little peeps out of the run after Mario and the triplettes - after all - the peeps are barely 3 days old...!

Do I need to do anything for them? Or will their momma hens handle it? They seem to be taking care of them so far....

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just make sure there is food and water that the chicks can reach and all will be taken care of by mom. They make the whole chick raising thing so much easier!

9. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    I have a water dish with pebbles in it and the regular waterer which is now set on the ground, as is the "hanging" feeder.... They are so funny! [​IMG]

10. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Congratulations on the new arrivals!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They look great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by