Market egg, home egg difference in yolk

GhettoRoo

Songster
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Hello.
Orange yolk is better or yellow? Darker or lighter it means.
Bigger yolk is better or smaller?
And whats the difference from store egg white and home raised chicken egg whites.
Thanks.

Last edited:
The color of the yolk is based on what the hen eats. More greens in their diet = more orange in the yolk. That's why free-range birds have darker yolks with more orange as they're eating more greens in the way of weeds, grass, etc. You can get darker yolks from hens in pens by feeding them fresh greens.

The color of the yolk is based on what the hen eats. More greens in their diet = more orange in the yolk. That's why free-range birds have darker yolks with more orange as they're eating more greens in the way of weeds, grass, etc. You can get darker yolks from hens in pens by feeding them fresh greens.
In this article which I read in journal, left one, smaller and orange yolk is from pen hen. And bigger yolk and lighter yolk is from free range.
I was thinking before, more orange more healthier is egg, and pen hens yolks are unhealthy lighty...
And what about egg white? Mor lighter is better or opposite?

More orange doesn't necessarily mean a healthier chicken. It just means a fresher egg from a hen with exposure to beta carotene. Sometimes hens are over-treated and they'll have orange yolks but they aren't getting proper protein.

Some hens like my seramas have yellow yolks and it doesn't matter how much supplementation they have access to.

The yolk color doesn't indicate the health of either the bird or the nutritional qualities of the egg. A light yolk isn't unhealthy, it's only a reflection of what the bird has consumed. Birds in regions that get a lot of snow that normally free range may have very orange yolks in the summer but lighter yolks in the winter as they don't have access to the greens that they normally get. You can have a not-so-healthy hen riddled with parasites laying eggs with orange yolks because it's getting plenty of fresh greens. And penned hens can have orange yolks providing you give them enough fresh greens.

Don't know that yolk size is any factor, either. I get huge yolks yet my girls are mostly penned. I ferment my feed which seems to impact the size of the yolk. Doesn't make it healthier, just makes it larger.

Haven't noticed a difference in the whites except that my girls whites seem to be firmer than the whites I get from the grocery store. Don't know if that's a product of their feed or has to do with age of the egg.

The overall nutritional composition of the egg is not significantly different, egg to egg.
I don't know about that but I know a fresh free range egg tastes better than a store bought egg. The egg white being thicker is just a fresher egg. The older eggs will spread out in the skillet and the fresh ones will stand up.

I completely agree. Taste and visual appearance is noticeably better in a fresh egg.

What I meant was proteins, amino acids, cholesterol and fatty acids are very similar.

Back
Top Bottom