Market for heritage turkeys

BOrion

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Is there a market for young ( 6 mos-1 yr) turkeys? I live in northern NM close to Colorado. Raised turkeys for the first time last year and just love them. But, don't really think I could house 20-30 adult turkeys. Curious to know if there is a market for these young ones. I don't want to dress them out before selling. Thanks.

Is there a market for young ( 6 mos-1 yr) turkeys? I live in northern NM close to Colorado. Raised turkeys for the first time last year and just love them. But, don't really think I could house 20-30 adult turkeys. Curious to know if there is a market for these young ones. I don't want to dress them out before selling. Thanks.

Unless you can sell already processed turkeys at the per lb. price they go for, their is no profit in raising turkeys. The profit area is selling day old poults so that you don't have any money in feeding them.

Right now is leading into breeding season and there is always someone who has lost their tom or hen over the winter and need a replacement for this year's breeding season. Advertise them on craigslist along with photos of them.

Good luck.

If you want to sell them live look for animal swaps or put an ad on craigslist.

I live in Mo. Toms are bringing 25-45 a piece.

Hens are 40 and up.

75 to 100 for breeding pairs.

A lot as well depends on the variety you have. Around me Narragansetts seem to be getting the premium prices.

I'm curious to know too. I've never raised turkeys but would like to start. I heard heritage birds sell for a pretty good price per pound.
don't get too anxious. by the time you finish feeding to slaughter there is very little to profit. That is main reason for the higher prices, unless you market several thousand, keep your day job.

I now have more little turkeys than I can house over the winter. They are Wild Rio Grandes. If I were to sell breeding pairs, should they be from different hens and toms. Do I have to be careful of in breeding like with other animals? How much for a pair, say around 3-6 months old? I live in NM close to the CO border.

Back
Top Bottom