Marking Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BaileyJean, Apr 15, 2012.

1. BaileyJean

BaileyJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    I am trying to keep our chicks separated. We need a way to identify which chicks is which. They are baby Silkies. Can we paint their nails or something like that to keep them identified? Any recommendations?
    Thanks

2. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We put food coloring on the backs of their necks...someone here told me that they would peck at each others toes if they were painted....

3. BaileyJean

Mar 20, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Ok, will not do the nail polish. When you put the food coloring on them, how long does it take for it to wear off. These may grow into show chickens.

4. Rachel96

Rachel96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    I'm also interested in the answer to this. I've tried food colouring before on ducklings and it rubs off when they drink and they peck at each other - and it just rubs off anyway. I'm hesitant to use bands or someone because they grow quite quickly, and I've never wanted to identify chicks before, but I'm setting some eggs tomorrow from two different flocks and I'd like to know which are from which once they hatch.

from Rachel.

5. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Our yellow/white chicks are 6 weeks old and we've had to put food coloring on them 3 times...so maybe a week to 10 days is all.

6. BaileyJean

Mar 20, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Also. I am wondering if this will work on the dark colored chicks? We have some blue chicks.

7. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    On light colored leg chicks, you can use a sharpie marker to draw a line up the chick's leg. Pick something like brown or black as to not draw too much attention to it. I've also heard of folks using a silver colored marker before too....again on the legs.

8. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    I like the food coloring idea, but get the wiltons gel food color. It is concentrated and won't rub off as easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by