marking chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by warhorse, May 4, 2009.

1. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    I am hatching out some Ameraucana and some Araucana chicks within a few days of each other soon. Of course, I can tell the difference between the two of them, but I would like to mark the chicks as they hatch as to which ones came from the nicer colored eggs. Are there any suggestions on how to keep track of that? I was going to brood them all together. The broody hen is sitting on the bluest ones and the not so blue ones are in the incubator... a total of 12 under the hen and I think 12 in the incubator.

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    I think there are bands that go around the legs for chicks.

3. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:Really? I thought with them growing so fast that might not be the easiest way. I thought I had heard someone using nail polish or marker?

4. texas_is_home

texas_is_home Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Boerne, Texas
  5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Some people use permement markers & nail polish, others use zip ties(they have to be changed as the chick grows)

6. meme9726

meme9726 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Byers, CO
    You can use marker on the head, just don't use red. It does not last very long but it does the job on light colored chicks. I use the small rubber bands the orthodontists use they come in different colors, you just have to cut them off thier leg in a few weeks.

7. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I tried using a marker. doesnt last for more than 4 days. I now use the little colored bands. They will last untill birds get bigger and then you gotta change them.

8. HenNewbie

HenNewbie Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    I used the markers on 2. I did not use red. The other chicks started pecking the heads of the 2 which were marked.

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Toe punch the ones from the bluest eggs.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  10. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:Yay! That sounds awesome! Thank you so much! Is there any special procedure for that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by