1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

marking chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mixedflockmomma, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mixedflockmomma

mixedflockmomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    I have several batches of chicks that I hatched in my incubator. I had a thought on how to identify each batch when I move them outside to my chicken house. I though to use a zip tie as a wing band, zipped just tight enough to stay on. Would this work? Or any better ideas?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I use colored zip ties on their legs. I have about 9 different colors so just by using left or right leg I can identify 18 groups.
    I change them about every two to three weeks so they don't get too tight. Then at about 12 - 15 weeks I put numbered bandettes on them. I started leaving the zip tie on also in case more than one lose their numbered band.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I use zip ties also. Just be careful and check the zip ties weekly. Chicks grow so quickly that the ties can tighten around their little legs and get infected.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, that would probably work--just be sure that the zip ties don't get too tight as the chicks grow. I myself use food coloring to mark chicks: I use a different color for each batch/mating of chicks and put one drop on their head. The coloring disappears when they lose their fluff; at that point, I put a colored zip tie on their legs. When they outgrow the zip ties, they get an adult leg band put on.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Quote: I think that the toe punch tool is less than $5.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/255169/when-can-i-toe-punch/10

Or you can use a sharp pocket knife to split the webbing between your chicks toes. You can also use both the punch and split web methods of ID plus clip a notch out of the right or the left, both or neither nostril to multiply the available methods of IDing chicks by a factor of 4.

6. mixedflockmomma

mixedflockmomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    I love the idea of the food color, unfortunately I raise mostly barred rocks. So I don't think food color would show up well.
    Also I have used the leg zip ties often with my older birds, but ring it hard to keep them on my chicks. As they can slip off if not tight enough or cause leg issues if too tight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by