1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marking Eggs with Pens & Markers

Discussion in 'Geese' started by violets812, Apr 15, 2012.

1. violets812

violets812 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Is it true that you should only use pencils to mark eggs?. I read that markers or pens would poison the baby inside. Thanks!

2. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I just hatched 9 of 10 eggs that were marked with a Sharpie with no ill effects. The 10th egg was not fertile.

3. igotgoosed

igotgoosed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    North Texas
    Think of it this way, markers and pens bleed and run. Eggs are porous. Lead does not bleed and run.

4. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I agree with igotgoosed. Even if the babies hatch fine, you never know if they have some kind of internal problem (or maybe even a predisposition to cancer or other diseases) because of absorbing marker or ink chemicals.

5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I certainly am not recommending one method over another, but the sharpie marker did not bleed through the shell and the ink in the markers are non toxic (you won't get cancer from sucking on a Sharpie).

6. justacouplemorechicks

justacouplemorechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    I mark mine with whatever is laying around when I go out the door.... I have used ink pens, markers, crayons with no obvious effects

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by