Marking Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yard full o' rocks, May 4, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Is it ok to "write" on the eggs shell? If so, with what? Does it matter? I have 3 different types of eggs being delivered this week to put in the 'bator and I would like to mark them so I know what they are supposed to be. THANKS:confused:

2. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    It dosen't hurt a thing. I use a sharpie. Some people think it does harm to the egg. That is positively not true!

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    It is ok, use a pencil to mark

Some friends of mine told me this story about marking & turning eggs. Each time they turned the egg, they would place a mark on it, so they knew which way to turn and which ones had been turned. By hatch time the eggs were covered w/pencil marks

4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I used a pencil and wrote the date, what kind of chicken, and an x on one side and o on the other.

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I use colored pencils that kids use that are non-toxic. It doesn't rub off as easy as a regular pencil. I don't think that there's any real risk of using a Sharpie though.

6. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Sharpies are not toxic to the eggs and will not rub off under a broodie hen.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I use a sharpie marker, and it doesn't affect them at all. If you are setting the eggs under a hen, pencil marks will rub off in just a few days [​IMG]

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I also use sharpies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by