Marking my birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcmommy, Jul 13, 2010.

1. mcmommy

mcmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Good Morning All ~ if we do a coop share, how can I mark my birds so I know which ones are mine? Something on their legs?..... Thanks to all!

2. danielviger72@yahoo.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Hollis Center, Maine
    I have found that you can get leg bands of one color or another at the local farm supply stores.. DO NOT BUY THEM ONLINE.. I have noticed that prices on line are out of this world lately...people have gone chicken crazy.. and they are definitely uping the prices lately.. do your research and visit you local farm supply stores...

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I'm using the colored zip ties idea. Got a whole can of them at Home Depot for a few bucks in different neon colors. There are several sizes in the can, but I use the smallest (4 " I think). Easy to put on, thin and small enough that they don't bother the chickens (after they get used to them), and easy to clip off and put new ones on as they grow.

5. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    I used the zip-ties, too. Worked good for me. Just leave em loose enough for growth, but not so loose as to cause problems. I used different colors for cockerels and pullets as I was able to id gender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by