Marking on eggs with sharpie, bad thing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bock_Bock, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i unfortuanetly marked my eggs i the bator with sharpie as some peole said it was ok others said no what do you guys think should i get rid of these eggs and start over?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Most say it is bad practice, however, from experience, they'll be just fine. No need to toss them.

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    never get rid of eggs because they "might" be harmed. Go ahead and see what hatches. I used a marker before with mixed results. What I use now is a crayon, different colors for different days to hatch. Colored pencils work too.[​IMG]

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I too think this is a no-no and I'll tell you why. I work in a hosptial setting and we are not allowed to write directly on IV fluid bags with sharpie markers due to the fact that the chemicals can leach into the fluids and pass into the blood stream. And since everyone is so bent on eggs being permiable (god forbid you should wash one!) I could only imagine the chemicals pass through there as well. I wouldn't throw them out however, just ban from future practice!

5. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I worked for NC Cooperative Extension and I taught embroyology in the schools to the teachers and the students. At NC State they taught us never to use anything but a pencil because the ink may bleed thru and effect the embryo. I had teachers that would use a Sharpie before I could get to them. Some of them hatched and some did not. I would not throw them out, but in the future I would use a pencil!
    Good luck with your hatch, with all the training I have had in Embryology it seems I still learn something everytime I incubate a batch of eggs![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  6. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    thanks so much every1 just like this was my first time using a sharpie on my very first incubation t will also be last time using sharpie on eggs thanks every1

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I've used pencil, color pencils and crayons, works very well! Markers, nope!

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I've never had a problem using sharpies, but i also use penciles and crayons as well. Pretty much whatever i grab while candling. I perfer using a sharpie.

9. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Quote:so using them never caused any trouble did u have same amount of healthy hatched eggs as you do using something else

also to add to every1 the sharpie i used is Nontoxic

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:so using them never caused any trouble did u have same amount of healthy hatched eggs as you do using something else

also to add to every1 the sharpie i used is Nontoxic

I use nontoxic as well. My incubator makes sure i lose a lot of chicks anyhow so I'll be able to tell you better on this once I get my cabinet incubator that keeps stable temps [​IMG]. I've had MANY 50% hatches though if that helps you decide [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by