Marking our meaties...?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DelcoChix, Aug 21, 2010.

1. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    We are on week three with our first little batch of broilers, my dd's 4-H project....wonder if any of you experienced folks have some ideas for marking the chicks to ID them easily?...since three go to the fair I don't want to use a sharpie marker or paint in case it doesn't clean off. We've used pipe cleaners of different colors to mark our layers but we're talking here about critturs with huge legs at three weeks and I'm a bit hesitant about using them on birds that grow as fast as these do...any ideas on short term ways to differentiate them?

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Colored zip ties around the leg. Cut them off and change them as they grow into them.

3. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Thanks Wolfwoman, great idea. I've wondered why they don't make leg bands in packs with assorted colors for us backyard chicken folks who just want to be able to tell our similar birds apart from one another. Maybe they do make them but I haven't seen them at the poultry shows I've been to--only packs of single colors. I'll start to search for colored wire ties--we have a bunch of the boring white/opaque ones but they are the jumbo size...

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:Try WalMart, I think that's where I got mine. They come in a cylindrical tube with like 500 in there of assorted sizes. That being said, I'd bet even if they made the poultry bands in different colors, the zip ties would still be cheaper.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    they sell colored tags throught the catalogs, Ijust saw them in strombergs today. however zip ties are cheap easy and local, I get mine at HD.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
  7. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    I colored my zip ties with permanent marker, since I already had the clear/white ones. Just an idea if you already have some instead of buying a whole new pack.

8. farmboydj

farmboydj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    zip ties are the best just dont use red!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by