Markings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Palletto26, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Palletto26

Palletto26 Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi, my question is, will my six day old Americaunas keep the markings on their heads as they mature? This is how I'm currently telling them apart.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, no, chick down patterns are not reflected in adult plumage. You can use leg bands or other identification markers to keep everyone straight - but if you are interacting with them daily as they grow and feather you will see each bird developing their new pattern and will likely have no problem identifying them.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! They are cute! If they are Easter Eggers, their adult color patterns will be variable and interesting, and probably individual to each bird. You won't have any trouble telling them apart. It would be fun to take weekly pictures too. Mary

4. Palletto26

Palletto26 Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    They are not Easter eggers they are Americauna's easter eggers are mixed with something else I think.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC. The chipmunk markings on these chicks mean their coloring is based on the e+ allele which is generally called wildtype. They will grow out either stippled or penciled depending on what other color genes they inherited along with the basic wildtype allele. A color allele ( their are at least 8 of them) is the basic canvas upon which the other color genes will be "painted". I think e+ is one of the prettiest canvases. Anyway, I can see from the chick down that some of the chicks have other color genes than simple e+. yes, e+ can be inherited just by itself, in which case the chipmunk marking are perfect, usually.
    Now look at the heads of the different chicks.
    1. See how one ( 2nd from top) is a really nice head stripe and eye liner? That's almost classic e+.
    2. Now another ( 2nd from bottom) has "marbled" down on its head, there are other colors in this chick than just e+.
    3. Still another chick ( bottom) just has a dark "bar" on its head. It is built on 2 alleles. Probably Wheaten (eWh) and e+. Wheaten makes chick down pure light yellow. The e+/eWh mix is a very pretty color when it feathers out.
    4. the top chick also looks like an e+/eWh mixed color allele. See how the yellow down has corrupted the classic chipmunk pattern, making most of it disappear?
    I think you are going to be very happy with the pretty feathering on your chicks. I suspect they will all be penciled, which is a very pretty color.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  6. Palletto26

Palletto26 Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    Thanks, I'm excited to see how they feather out, hopefully I can still tell them apart when they do.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If they are mixed, they are not 'pure' Ameraucana, and therefore, they are Easter Eggers. If they are hatchery or feed store sourced, they are likely 'pure' Easter Egger. Hatchery Easter Eggers aren't mixed breeds, they just haven't been bred to meet any specific breed standard. There is no way of knowing what they will look like, without knowing their specific parentage.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What breeder did you obtain them from and which recognized colors are the chicks from? Many chicks are sold as "Ameraucana" that are not actually Ameraucana, it is one of the breeds that is most commonly misrepresented these days.

9. Palletto26

Palletto26 Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    I got them from Idealpoultry.com they were advertised as Ameracauna's

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Ideal has misrepresented Easter Eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by