marks ocular? and suspicious sore on beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sarevan, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    One of my EE has a strange pigment change to one eye and a dry non scabby sore on her beak. Thinking is that Mareks to her eye and is that just a sore or pox?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sarevan

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    My "smartphone" isn' I tried to edit Mareks and add 2nd photo and it kicked me out. Thank they are added now and I'm not trying to edit again. [​IMG]

3. nettifer

nettifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    it looks more like pigment as the pupil is ok, any other symptoms?

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I can't say it looks like ocular Marek's. If the sore on the beak is dry and healing, good. I'm glad to be the bearer of good news!

5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    X
    X2

6. Sarevan

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    No other symptoms, breathing, skin, activity, pupils react evenly to light, good normal control of legs & wings. Grabbed and checked all the others tonight when roosting and no other strange changes in eye pigment. The strange eye doesn't have the weird tearing or lopsided contraction of iris like in photos of Mareks. So it appears she is fine.

I figured out the scab is from a container I put in to hold grit and oyster shell, it is from an old rabbit hutch made of metal. They peck at an angle and hit combs, top of beak on the one edge. I may have to roll it under or cover, it isn't a sharp edge but I guess if they are pecking hard enough they could hurt themselves.

Thank you for comments.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Is your avatar as worried as you???

8. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I also don't see Marek's in the eye shown; it looks like pigment of the iris. Marek's usually makes the pupil look strange (often a pinpoint, or sometimes oval, etc). The discoloration you should be worried about is grey or blue-ish. The brown splotches are pretty normal, especially in younger birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by