1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

maron question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by V1cky, Jun 19, 2015.

1. V1cky

V1cky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    This maybe a dumb question but can you get maron coloured chickens in other breeds? (copper black and gold cuckoo) I have these colours plus a few more and thinking maybe my mixed chickens have maron in them. They don't lay dark brown eggs but thinking that might be because they're crosses.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you mean marans? A mixed breed can be anything and with the right genetic combination anything is possible, so yes, colors that marans come in could end up in mixes without a marans involved. If you posted a picture of your chickens we might be able to tell you if they have marans in them.

1 person likes this.
  3. V1cky

V1cky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Yes marans, sorry. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could be a Marans mix, but a lot of birds have similar coloring to Marans. She looks like a possible game breed mix.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. chrismichael

chrismichael Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    Branson MO
    Do the Marans come in black Maran and black copper Maran? If so, what is the difference?
    Thanks - Chris

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've been doing some research on this. My understanding is a true black Marans isn't really available in the US. They're not just a BCM without the copper, but I forget all the differences. Most of the basically black birds are poorly bred black coppers. I have a few hens with just the tiniest touch of copper and I'll be phasing them out of my breeding program, looking for better coloring.

You might check out the Marans site.....http://maranschickenclubusa.com/SMF/index.php. I know there are folks working in blacks in the US, but they're still a project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by