1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marsh Roll-X Incubator by Lyon - User's Thread

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scott, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I noticed that there aren't many posts about the Marsh Roll-X incubator. I'm sure there has to be several people on the forum that use the Roll-X, so I thought I'd start a thread for users of this incubator. I'm use the Lyon Roll-X (RX2) incubator with an automatic turner, and I've currently got 64 call duck eggs in my Roll-X. I purchased this incubator last month. So far, I've been very pleased with it. I thought this thread might give other Roll-X users an opportunity to share their experience with this incubator. For those unfamiliar with this incubator, here is a photo...

[​IMG]

Oh, and there is also a great instructional video here...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Looks good - who did you buy it from?

3. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:I actually bought it used on craiglist... I got a good deal on it. Plus it included an additional thermostat, wafer, and two additional egg grids.

4. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    No one else own or use this incubator? I think the price scares most people away, but is certainly nice if you hatch a decent amount of eggs.

5. ccscott24

ccscott24 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Atoka, Oklahoma
    Hi,

I was reading your inquiry and now i read that you hatched out call duck eggs in this roll-x and I need your help on incubating call eggs. I have 8 pairs of call ducks and this is my first year trying to hatch them in a incubator. I hear ups n down on the gqf incubator hatching calls and its not good. So have you had good result incubating call eggs in ur roll-X incubator? I don't want to spend money on it if its not worth it and every tip would be appreciated. I don't want to lose any eggs if i can help it.

Thanks,

Chris

6. FarmChiq

FarmChiq New Egg

May 21, 2007
    I have an older model Roll-X than the one pictured. Mine has a plastic water bottle with a long neck that sits in a hole right in the corner of the lid. I love this unit, though I have had to change the wafer. I bought it used though, so who knows how old the wafer was when I got it.

I love that it has the clear lid, the fan and the turning racks. I lucked out and bought mine with 4 turner racks for about $150. Lucky me hey?

7. jsalamon

jsalamon New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    I have a chance to buy a marsh rx2 for $400. Its about 4 years old. Does this seem reasonable to you or is the price a bit high. I am new to incubating and egg hatching. let me know what you think.

Thanks

John

8. momofjandj

momofjandj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Just learning about incubators.... what exactly is a wafer? Those of you who use this one, have you had good success?

9. CrookdBeak13

CrookdBeak13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    A wafer is a kind of thermostat. Thats about all I know about that. I just picked a Marsh Roll-X tonight. Everything appears to work great and the thermostat has been replaced but its not the wafer. It was dusty and dirty in the bottom so I have it soaking in CLR and water right now and I am going to blow the top out tomorrow with the air compressor! Can't wait to get a hatch going in it!

10. momofjandj

momofjandj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks and congrats on the new incubator! I ended up passing on the one I found, but ended up buying an Incuview. I'm excited to give hatching a try too. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by