1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marsh Roll X incubator question regarding temperature

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dani2, Feb 18, 2009.

1. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Hi,

I have a marsh Roll X incubator we used it last year with fantastic success I have the two regular thermometers in the incubator one with a wick attached and I also have another digital thermometer with a long probe type thing so you can have something to read outside of the incubator but I am having a lot of trouble getting a consistant temperature. It will go up as high as 105 then drop back down to around 95 this is reading from the glass thermometer inside. It is going up and down very quickly so it is not staying super high very long and I keep trying to adjust it using the temperature control thing on top it has the wafer that expands and contacts but I am still getting the flucuating temperature? Any ideas? I have some eggs due in tomorrow and Friday they are black copper marans so fairly spendy and I am hoping for the best hatch ever. I would love to hear anybody elses experience is this a normal temperature range? I knwo I am aiming for 101 on the glass thermometer but oviously there is always a little up and down I just dont remember it being this drastic last year. Thanks in advance Nicki

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

What does the digital one read? I would set it and leave it for a couple hours. Then adjust. Wait agian and see what the temps are.

3. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Hi the digital one is reading pretty much exactly the same as the glass one. The incubator has been on for two days now and it does end up back at a normal temperature but it drops down more and then rises more than I remember it doing. I was thinking last year it never dropped below 99 before kicking back on and then only varied a degree or two at best I am having a 5-10 degree up and down roller coaster type thing right now.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never owned one, can you call customer service and see if they can give you and pointers. I do not know how else to help. Sorry.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If it has just a wafer thermostat it's an older model. Those wafers need to be replaced periodically as they wear out. I'd try a new wafer if I were you.

6. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Hi thanks for the info I do have a wafer on order not sure if it will get here before the eggs or not but I started up our other incubator that is just a basic styrafoam one as well as a backup just incase. Thanks again Nicki

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I would start the eggs off in the styrofoam one until you can change out the wafer in the Roll-X then move the eggs over to the Roll-X once its stabalized.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If the wafer in the styrofoam incubator is hold temp better why not just switch that wafer into the ROLL-X?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by