Marshmallow Parents

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Wifezilla, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    :: rant warning ::

If you bail your kid out every time they do something stupid, THEY NEVER LEARN!

It isn't your job to be their buddy or prevent them from ever feeling disappointment or any other negative emotion. It is your job to teach them to be responsible and independent. When you don't do this, they just create problems for the rest of us! Holding them accountable for their actions doesn't make you mean, it is your job. Grow a spine and do it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Can I send you to my mother & sister so you can repeat this? [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My wisdom and insight isn't often appreciated...LOL

4. Quote:Better yet, repeat that to my father in law and sister in law!

OR!

REPEAT THAT DO HUBBY! He spoils the girls dirty ROTTEN!

5. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Neither is mine.... [​IMG]

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I have three sons who are now 43, 31, and 37. The oldest and youngest live in southwest Missouri and the middle son is my business partner. The four of us are extremely close and yet I was a strict parent. They were taught work ethic and responsiblity for their actions.

Two quick stories about my sons. When the oldest son enlisted in the Army his employer didn't want to lose him. He told him that he was making a mistake and when the DIs got ahold of him he would realize his mistake. With that Joe started laughing. His boss ask what was so funny to which he replied. "What you don't understand is that my dad was once a drill sergeant. The Army DIs only have me for 8 weeks and I just finished 18 years with my Dad.

The second son went in the Army and was gone from home for two years. He came home and worked with me for six months and then left for school in North Carolina. One evening he called and he was telling me that the absence seemed more intense this time. I told him I thought the reason was that when he left for the Army we were father and son who were friends and now we are friends who are father and son.

Be a parent first and the friendship will come.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My kid got a speeding ticket.
    I am paying it. [​IMG]

THAT is his Christmas gift. [​IMG]

Am I a marshmallow?

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thank you! Its sooo true.. [​IMG]

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    yup.

10. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:You can get him one of those coal candies for his stocking, but no that's fair enough, "happy holidays, don't ask for nuthin'."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by