Marshmallows for bait? lol

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tala, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

So after catching several cats I switched to marshmallows in attempt to draw out non-feline predators.

Today I caught my dominant Redstar pullet, Queenie in the live trap!!! Apparently she likes marshmallows because they were all gone! LOL
    [​IMG]

DH can't get the livetrap open (DUH!) so I ran home from work to let her out. Mr Rooster didn't seem to recognize me in my work clothes (khaki pants instead of jeans) and I didn't have time for his attitude so I just carried him across the yard over to the trap with me! I bet it was a sight!

So does anybody have any OTHER more-raccoon-specific bait ideas?? I know they'll eat almost anything I'm just looking for something that maybe the non-target critters won't enjoy so much.

2. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Banana's. I use banana's alot. Raccoon's and Possum's LOVE them. Of course my dog Blackie does too. [​IMG]

3. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    A big blob of jam or jelly on a piece of bread works for me,,raccoons love the flavor of grapes [​IMG]

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Maple syrup

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:My chickens don't seem to care for banannas, so I'll try that! Thanks!

My dog is way too big to fit in the trap, and she remembers the raccoon that was in it once so she's kinda shy of the trap now. She's a big chicken dog!

A big blob of jam or jelly on a piece of bread works for me,,raccoons love the flavor of grapes

I'm afraid that chickens really like grapes too, though

Maple syrup

I only buy the good stuff (real mayple, not fake-flavored corn syrup) and it's like liquid gold so NOoooooo way I'm feeding it to raccoons! lol interesting idea though.​

6. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Tala, coons love anything sweet. Just find something that the chickens don't like.
    As a kid, my father was Town Chairman for our small township. He was the person that people went to when they had a problem. He recieved a call one day from a woman that claimed that she had raccoons in her tree and was afraid that they would try to harm her toy poodle. We went to investigate her problem. Yup. She had coons in her tree. Five three week old baby coons. The mother had been killed on the road next to her property. As a young strapping kid as I was at the time, I climbed the large pine tree and caught the young coons and we took them home. We put them in an old rabbit cage that we had and fed them milk and fish and whatever we thought that they would eat. After two days, they became more tame and would let themselves out of the cage when they were hungry or needed some attention. They would climb our legs and sit on our shoulder and were cute as heck. We let them into the house when they were a bit bigger. They really liked sugar cubes. Problem was that they always had that instict to wash everything before they ate it. LOL Everytime they tried to wash thier sugar cube, it would dissapear and they couldn't find it anymore. It was very funny to watch them learn at the time but they got bigger and had to give them up to a game farm. That was the first and last time that I ever had a good experience with a racoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by