marten building=chicken coop?

chickenluv

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Sterling IL
Hey everyone, I am in need of your opinion on this.

My family is going to move across town pretty soon, and the new place doesn't have a chicken coop.
sad.png
My dad is definitely capable of building one, but he is really busy with work, so we're looking into buying one. For those of you who know what a Marten building is, what do you think about using that as a coop? For those of you who don't know, here's a link to the one I would like:

http://martenportablebuildings.com/lofted_garden_barn

Marten buildings are basically a simple ready built building, with a heavy plywood floor, ( I would put straw down to insulate) and thicker plywood sides, with wood paneling on the outside of that. The one I'm looking at has 2 windows and a big double door, but my dad and I could easily add a pop door and install my chicken equipment from my old coop, And we would definitely build a nice size run. I have about 70 chickens so I would have to downsize,
hit.gif
but what do you guys think?
smile.png

I think it looks awesome! Their site doesn't have prices, but if it fits in your budget... why not? It's a good looking building and could be tailored with vents, Vinyl floor, power and whatnot. Good luck to you.

That would be a super coop and it wouldn't take too much to convert it! Cut a pop door, add some nests and a roost and you are good to go. I am currently using a yard barn for one of my coops for the last 10 years and it has worked out great. Here's mine. Pop door is on the back side with a window.
37116_coop.jpg

Sorry that you have to downsize your flock.
sad.png

Last edited:
that would work great as a coop. i'm considering building something similar to this winter later this winter or next spring. good luck on your choice.

Okay thanks everybody! I did find a price chart, (at my local County Market grocery store of all places!) the one I would ned is around $3,500. javascript:insert_text('
th.gif
',%20'');
So, my dad is looking into building one similar, I guess we'll see what happens
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom