martha can barely walk-sprain or mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kudzu vine, Feb 17, 2012.

1. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    One of my BR, Martha, started limping on one leg several weeks ago. At first thought it was a sprain. Have had her in separate cage for a week and finally the sun came out and I sat her outside. Still no better, so as I took her out and examined, red bugs - mites crawling about 2" below her vent. She looks healthy and fat but can barely walk - no bumble foot.

I dusted her with Sevin. Anymore suggestions? Could the mites be causing the limp or does she have a combo problem? Thanks...Kudzuvine Janet

2. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    If she has mites, then the other hens do too. It might be that her leg injury has kept for from dust bathing and so they're worse on her. I'd give the coop a thorough cleaning - discard (don't compost) the bedding, disinfect and use a miticide. It's a tough pest to get rid of, but one that can cause on-going problems. It will only get worse as the weather warms, so it's good to address now.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You gotta get rid of the bugs. Concentrate on her now for the moment. I would dust her up with sevin or give her a flea bath with Adams Plus Flea and Tick Shampoo (make sure to blow dry her and keep her warm for several hours or overnight). Then think about what you're going to do about a worming/delousing program. Check her knees where the feathers cover and make sure there are no sores. I'd treat for scaley leg too. Are her legs scaley?

4. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    thanks - you confirmed my thoughts. She is an older hen and it's time to oil their legs. Plan on dusting all of them this weekend. I'll examine her again. You guys are sooo good with helping everyone.....Janet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by