Mary the EE ... What colour? What can we guess about her genetics?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 6Happiness, Sep 28, 2010.

1. 6Happiness

6Happiness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Here is Mary. We bought her as a chick as an Easter Egger (expecting her to start laying later in November)

I am curious, how do i describe her colour/pattern?

What, if anything can we tell about her possible genetics? (obiously, not knowing the parents, and not havign bred her, we can only tell what mutations are dominant. Are there any we can tell from her appearance?) Size wise, she is in-between our 2 bantams and our three full-sized hens (2 langshans and a speckled sussex)- does that make her a bantam, or a full sized chicken? [​IMG]

She's a smart girl, and if our Roo will stop being monogomous (see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402900), I'd like a chick or two from them, but not sure what we might get and would like to plug them into an online chicken calculator, but don't know how to enter her info

ETA: Her legs are green/willow.

Thanks!

ETA, oh yes, the photos would help :p ....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did I mention she's smart? Her she is, as a very young chick still, obviously recognising herself in a mirror: http://fithfath.com/agangi/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=754

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

pic?

3. 6Happiness

May 31, 2010
    yes, sorry about that; pics added!

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Mary the EE has a duckwing pattern. She looks like duckwing araucana hens with a tail. Very pretty.
    Can't tell a thing about her genetics cause I don't know enough about that kind of stuff. That is a fairly common color for EE's

Lanae

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never seen that color pattern on an EE before. She's beautiful!

6. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    She is gorgeous! Our EE had the chipmunk pattern. (Pics posted on our BYC page.)

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    She almost look like a "silver" hen- if you look at silver leghorns, ameraucanas, or marans- see the salmon color in her chest? Very nice!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Very nice indeed, I'd say she's got some Silver Duckwing in her.

9. 6Happiness

May 31, 2010
    yes, I noticed the warmth of colour ('salmon') in her chest... but the "silver" breeds I search for - the hens all looked so much lighter than Mary is- her back feathers being black, spare those little white stripes on the centers of the feathers; her head is so dark.... I have a younger pullet I ask about in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4891785#p4891785 who is identified as a silver duck wing, and she has medium to dark grey feathers on her back and a very light/white head and no salmon on her chest.

So how can Mary be a silver duck wing...? Does the term encompass much more than I understand it to? Is there a melanistic factor that is making Mary darker...?

I'd like to plug her into the chicken calculator ( http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html ) to see what I might get from her with Pasquale (shown in the other thread), but I don't see any example chickens there to choose from that look like Mary

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Well- silver duck wing is just the closest thing to what her color is. There are no true named colors for EEs as they can be from any number of backgrounds. The calculator might not be worth the trouble as you don't know what kind of color she might be hiding. She is gorgeous though- definitely worth duplicating! If you could find a silver ameraucana roo you might get some really nice (blue egg gene) offspring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by