1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maryland backyard chicken laws?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuggetchild, Jul 19, 2015.

1. nuggetchild

nuggetchild Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    hey, I live in Montgomery county (Maryland) and i was wondering the laws for owning chickens? Preferably, I would like to register them as pets and not use them for commercial use. so no selling meat or eggs. they will be mainly indoor chickens with an available coop outside once they're older and more pendant.we have over 6,000 square foot of space in our backyard.
    i've tried looking for information online but its been proven harder than i expected.
    links and personal experiences would be great!

2. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    I just typed in Montgomery county chicken laws. It took me to a website that describes laws now & changing laws. It said right now you can have chickens as pets. The law is going to change & there will be some lot size restrictions & info on how far they need to be from lot lines & neighbors. Type in Montgomerycountybackyardchickens (I think that was it). Good luck.

3. feathersaloft

feathersaloft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    NW Georgia
    You are looking at zoning regulations, which vary so much county to county.
    Many counties don't allow any poultry or livestock with less than 2 acres, even if for personal use. Others allow hens but no roosters (noise ordinances).
    Then you may even have HOA restrictions. Those are usually the most restrictive and impossible to get past.
    Or you can try to stay under the radar with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GinaV

GinaV New Egg

Dec 30, 2015
    This was my question precisely--I am also in MoCo. What did you end up doing? My husband and I are looking to buy a new home this summer and of course, we would like to have chickens. so I joined this forum to learn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by