1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maryland ~ LF Polish hens and bantam Polish trios FS

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Crunchie, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I still have some Polish left for sale. I am in Maryland, no shipping right now, please! [​IMG]

I have 2 large fowl white crested black Polish hens for sale. One is from last year's breeder pen. She's about 1 1/2 years old. The other was hatched last year and is about 6 months old. $5 each.

I have two trios of bantam white crested black Polish. One I would consider pet quality. The rooster is very nice, but the hen's crests are not as good as they could be. $15 for this trio. The other trio is potentially show quality. At the very least, they would give someone a good start if they wanted to breed these birds. They are from very nice lines. $25 for this trio. Both of these bantam trios are in the same pen and are looking a little rough right now (the boys are being, well, boys). But they are all very nice, sweet little birds. I've been very happy with them, I just have more birds than I need right now. [​IMG]

The younger large fowl hen:
    [​IMG]

A group shot of my breeding pen of large fowl, the other hen is one of these guys (excuse their funkiness, they love their dust! [​IMG]):
    [​IMG]

One of the bantam roosters:
    [​IMG]

One of the bantam hens:
    [​IMG]

2. kayjuggler

kayjuggler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi there. This is Kathy from Calvert County. I picked up some Polish eggs from you last year and some Marans and Ameraucana eggs as testers. We have been part time free ranging the birds for a few hours before dusk, and have, unfotunately learned our lesson that we can't do that with the Polish girls. We lost one a few months ago and now our second just this weekend. We even trimmed their crests to help them see better. Well, my daughter loved her Polish chcikens...they are very sweet birds. I would love to buy those standard hens you have and do right by them and not let them free range. I'm also interested in some more hatching eggs from all your breeds later this spring. We got one gorgeous splash Ameraucana from that hatch. She is about 4.5 months old and hasn't started laying yet. I can't figure out how to post a photo of her here.

[​IMG]

Okay I think I figured out how to post photos

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  3. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Hi Kathy! I'm so sorry to hear about your Polish hens. Yes, they can be easy targets for predators...I've occasionally let mine free range a bit, but I don't have much luck, either. Last time I let my one pen out for a few hours, it took me an hour to find and collect 4 hens. [​IMG] Luckily nothing had killed them, but I think one had a run-in with a hawk--I found her off back in the woods behind our barn, a bit banged up and very scared. Another somehow ended up by our house, far away from the rest of her flock and their pen. [​IMG] And I had only let them out for 2 hours! Now they only get out to scratch around a bit if I'm going to be outside with them.

That splash hen is so pretty! You know, I've never hatched a splash hen. All of my splashes end up to be roosters! [​IMG]

Anyway, if you want to come get these girls, that would be wonderful! My email is linked under my avatar, just let me know. I'm trying to slim down on my numbers a bit, and I think they would be appreciative of a home where they get more attention than they do here. And definitely come get some eggs whenever you're ready!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by