mascovy babies.

juloopy

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
lake worth
I some mascovy babies waddling in the publix parking lot 2 days ago without a mother. I saw them trying to follow a male duck and he just flew away. There are 13 little fluff balls. Some all white. I don't know what to do with them. I picked them up and put them in a box and brought them home. They are now in my brooder along with a big female chicken... they don't really cling to her at all though. My ducks just ignore them. What should I do? I feel bad that they don't have a mother. They are eating and drinking all the time and they must be only 5 days old at the most. I know that they cannot swim without their mother so I don't want to put them out by my pond.

suburbanduckmom

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Belmont, CA
Maybe try putting a stuffed animal in there for contact comfort. They can swim but only for very short amounts of time and in shallow water. Mine didn't really like swimming as a baby.

As long as they are warm and dry and eating I wouldn't worry too much. What are you going to do with so many babies?

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I wouldn't let them swim unless you're watching them. But as long as they're eating and drinkign and seem to be healthy i would not worry. Maybe you could try to find some good homes for them if you can't or dont want to keep them all.

juloopy

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
lake worth
Maybe try putting a stuffed animal in there for contact comfort. They can swim but only for very short amounts of time and in shallow water. Mine didn't really like swimming as a baby.

As long as they are warm and dry and eating I wouldn't worry too much. What are you going to do with so many babies?

RE: Well we have 4 acres here with a nice size pond. I don't mind keeping them. They are good pond cleaners too. Maybe they can show my ducks how to forage for food. I love mascovies they are really great ducks. I have 3 all yellow ones now.. It will be really neat if they stay all white.

Top Bottom