Mascovy- She's hurt, but I don't know from what. Please help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DreamSoulpatch, Feb 24, 2013.

1. DreamSoulpatch

DreamSoulpatch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    U.S.A, Oklahoma
    My duck, Dreamcatcher, is a mascovie. Recently she has been really weak. Im not exactly sure if it's because of the recent weather from Oklahoma's notorious climate change, or if she's really sick. Her poop is watery, she eats and drinks, but when I hold her and place my arm under her feet, her grip is almost nonexistent. I read on one of the posts on here to try and use Purina's flock starter, and got some of that today. She's been iffy, so we have her in a large dog cage withy only other duck Soulpatch. During the day she stays inside by her self, because we believe that he isn't letting her rest or eat.

Obvious signs? She's weak, and often falls down and can't get back up, resulting in me having to pick her up and carying her in. She eats, as I've mentioned. Her poop is watery. I don't know what could be wrong. I haven't tried niacin because I don't know what it does nor would I know how much to put in her water or food.

Please help.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If you can get some Bio-Mycin or Penicillin give the duck a 1cc injection with a 25 gauge needle in the breast muscle. Do it for 3 days. If you see improvement, do it for another 2 days (5 total). If you are uncomfortable injecting. You could try 1cc of LA-200 down the throat for 5 days. I grew up with Muscovies. We always fed them waterfowl pellets. If I remember correctly, they have a much higher protein requirement.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. DreamSoulpatch

Feb 23, 2013
    U.S.A, Oklahoma
    Thank you! I'll immediately go getbit on pay day.

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. I hope it works. Keep us updated.

5. DreamSoulpatch

Feb 23, 2013
    U.S.A, Oklahoma
    It is with extreme sadness.. that I report back, with my duck died to day..

6. I a so sorry. poor duck. How old was she? That is so sad that she died [​IMG]

7. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I know how it feels, Dream. Very sorry you lost the duck. Do you have any idea what it was? Sometimes things can be prevented and sometimes they cannot be, such as neuroligical problems. My Dad has had a few geese that exhibited some of those lameness symptoms you mentioned and Penicillin/Biomycin was used. One recovered and one did not.

8. DreamSoulpatch

Feb 23, 2013
    U.S.A, Oklahoma
    She was quiet, and I didn't get to try the penucillin/biomycin. She was about a year old. And when I found her, my other duck was nibbling at her, trying to get her to get up and anout charged at me, but didn't, so instead he charged at my near by dogs.. It broke my heart. But, we are trying to look for another duck, so my duck won't be lonely. He's alresdy showing signs of depression so we have to act fast.. I hate having to replace her, but if we don't, my drake will die. When I found her, she looked like she went to sleep and just didn't wake up..

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  9. DreamSoulpatch

Feb 23, 2013
    U.S.A, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the concern. Wish me luck finiding a young hen that's not pregnant..

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by