Masculine Muscovy Hen, Doesn't Brood - anyone else have one?? *pics*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have one Muscovy hen that is from the group I rescued X-Mas 2009. When I got them I thought she was a drake because oif the amount of caruncling on her face compared to her sisters but she soon proved to be a moody big hen. "Ginger" lays plenty of eggs and produces beautiful babies but she had NEVER brooded, never even shown interest in it. I am wondering if this is maybe because of her being so masculine? does that make sense?

Do any of you fellow Muscovy owners have a hen like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here she is next to another hen, this is my my mother always thinks she's a drake, lol.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    She is a terrible duck. You need to get rid of her ASAP! Box her up and send her to me! [​IMG] Honestly I have no idea, maybe she is just an exception to her breed, who doesn't have the broody instincts that most others have.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

lol, thanks txcarl! [​IMG]
    All of her sisters have brooded numerous times now but also none have her body type or near as much caruncling, hers extends all the way down her neck.

This is why i keep her, the chocolate pied is her daughter.... and of course I just really like her, even though she is a bit of a turd and wont eat out of my hand still [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG]

Do you sell hatching eggs?

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Uhhh thats what I was thinkin [​IMG]

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I didn't know there was a market for Masculine Muscovies! [​IMG]

7. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I don't care if she is masculine or not I am just a sucker for chocolate. Also anything Blue, Silver, etc. [​IMG]

Besides thats what bators are for right! Gotta justify hatching them somehow. I can tell the DW that she won't so I HAVE to hatch them for her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Maybe she's just a big pain in the butt? [​IMG]

9. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

Bleenie I have a Muscovy hen like that and she goods broody and has hatched out her babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by