Mash or Pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by red star11, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    :lol:What is better for egg laying chickens

2. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    seems like they waste less in a pellet,thats my preference

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I feed both mixed. I have one hen that doesn't seem to like the pellets....joe

4. jorgey

jorgey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Utah
    I don't use either, I like using crumbles. My chickens have always done great on it. I have it in a hanging feeder and the only time that I see any wasted at all is when I spill it myself. [​IMG]

5. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    with pellets, each bite they get a complete ration. With mash, they can sort out, altho studies show, given a chance animals will eat a balanced diet (unlike humans).

From a digestability standpoint, pellets digest better (way they are made) than mash.

Crumbles are pellets that have been smashed into smaller parts.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My flock prefers the layer mash and waste alot less feed. They lay well and are a healthy flock.

The crumbles were flicked out everywhere, with the girls looking for something good to eat.

Local feed mills sell the fresh layer mash, which is much fresher than the bagged crumbles that are months old.

bigzio

7. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Quote:It's good that you buy from local feed mill but whether it's crumbles, pellets, or mash how fresh it is will depend on how much feed they sell.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Ya get less wast with pellets an it works in more feeders. I'm feeding mash now couse I'm getting a deal in it. (commercial egg farm feed) But it packs an clogs in the feeders especially when the humidity is high. It also don't work well tossed on the ground or in there bedding. I say if price is the same I would only use pellets.

9. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I honestly do not know. I feed mine everything that is available.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by