Mash or pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by red star11, Dec 21, 2008.

1. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    :lol:Which is better for egg laying chickens and is there a benefit?

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    pellets as they get 100% of what they need in every bite. Plus there is some digestability advantages to pellets over mash.

3. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have wondered the same thing. I usually get crumble. The mash seems like it gets waisted easier due to being a powder. And I worry the pellets are harder for them to eat. Sometimes they are rather big pellets. But I have no facts on this.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    crumbles are just pellets that have been broken up, My opinion is that the larger pieces get wasted less. A chicken doenst need to be able to chew the piece, just able to swallow it. Mash often can seperate and your chickens will not get all the nutrients at one time, but I would suspect that in the end the chickens would get enough of what it needs, chickens have been fed mash for years, and they are still around.

So advantage to crumbles or pellets is they get nutrition in every bite, and there is less waste.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Pellets work best for me.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Pellets here too. I've read many posts where people say they've had to go back to mash or crumbles because their chickens didn't "like" the pellets. An animal won't starve itself if appropriate feed is available to them. By appropriate I mean unspoiled and of the correct type for the animal.

7. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    My chickens dont like the layer pellets as much. I get them mash and I dont seem have any problem with them wasting it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It makes no diference.

9. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i use layer mash they clean it right up.i buy 100 pounds and it last about 2 months.for 15 birds i keep 2 feeders full all the time .

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I used grower mash until they started laying then I switched to layer pellets. Noticeably less wasted.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by