Mash or pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenkeeper12, Jan 2, 2013.

1. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Hello everyone I was wondering what kind of feed you guys use. Pellets or mash. I was wondering what some people thought was better. I tried mash once and all they ate was the corn and left the rest and I have pellets and them seem to eat that but the problem is that now I have 4 16 week old silkies in with the large fowl and they get along fin it's just the feed I'm concerned about. They don't seem to like it that much and I'm worried that there not going to eat. Would you guys recommend me changing it to mash for them or keeping it the same.
    Thanks

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I use pellets and have never had a problem. I would keep it the same for now and see if they start eating it. If not and they become thin change it.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think as long as you are happy with the nutritional content of your feed then stick with what are you doing. I think in the end that is more important than the delivery method. The other thing you can consider is waste and it seems like you were having more waste with the mash.

I actually feed a mash because none of the feed stores near me sell a crumble or pellet feed with what I am personally looking for nutritionally, which is a grower feed with animal protein rather than soy. They do tend to leave behind the powder but I make them eat it all before refilling the feeder and when presented without other options they do finish it all off. I will also sometimes add a little warm water to gather all the dust and that helps as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by