Votes: 311 51.6%
  • crumbles

Votes: 213 35.3%
  • mash

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • other, please post what it is!

Votes: 33 5.5%

• Total voters
I tend to prefer crumbles. They are easier for chicks to eat, and the adult birds like them too. My birds don't waste their crumbles, but I have heard that some birds waste crumbles more than pellets.

My older birds on the other hand throw the crumbles all about then wont eat it. I could limit food to get them to eat it all or do what I do and use pellets. All chicks at 10-12 weeks are crumble weened here.

I use pellets for older standard birds, had the same problem with them wasting crumbles. All chicks are started on crumbles, standards then moved onto pellets around 8 weeks. Bantams usually get a mix.

I'm not completely sure what I prefer. The pellets are nice because they are less dusty and the chickens spill fewer of them. But the crumbles are easier for younger birds and my bantams to eat. Plus, for some reason my chickens seem to love crumbles more--when given some, they act as though they've been starved, when in reality, they shouldn't be because they have pellets in front of them all the time.

I use crumbles because I feed everything from day old bittys through full grown chickens and and it's easier on me if I don't have to fool with multiple types of feed. Fot the birds that bill it out onto the ground they get it served wet so they don't waste a single crumble.

Pellets or crumbles.My rooster died on mash :(
How do you know the mash killed him? I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom