Mash Recipes..

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ColletteGB, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ColletteGB

ColletteGB Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    Hampshire Uk
    Hello guys..i have bought a bag of mash thinking i could give this to them as a Treat..I feed all 5 of my hens Layer Pellets in the morning and mixed corn as a treat later afternoon..i would like to try them on mash but looks powdery so any advice to with anything i can add to it and how much each hen will need...also should i add Oyster shell to them Mash....i awaite your Replys :D

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Don't mix oyster shell with the feed. They should choose to eat it and it should be in a separate container. If it's mixed they can't avoid excess calcium. Any time you have birds laying, it's best to have OS available.
    Is the mash a layer mash?
    Chicken feed should be available all day unless they are running on pristine pasture with lots of greens and bugs.
    If it isn't available and they go into the afternoon scratch feeding with an empty crop, they'll probably overeat the less nutrient dense corn.

ETA
    If the mash is too fine for the chickens, you can moisten it or even ferment it and they'll eat much more of it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  3. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Fermenting feed is a great option if you have something they wont otherwise eat. We had a bunch of pigeon feed that the chickens didn't really like all that much, I fermented it and they didn't let any of it go to waste.

4. ColletteGB

ColletteGB Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    Hampshire Uk
    i have some ACV so i shall be fermenting the Mash in the Morning :) thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by