Mason Bee houses

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by TheMotherHen, Nov 20, 2009.

1. TheMotherHen

TheMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    I was thinking of making mason bee houses for Christmas presents this year. Seems pretty easy and cheap and pretty cool. Does anyone here have one? Do they really work?

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    That's a great idea. They look really neat form the different styles I have seen. Are you going to include the bees?

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I feel like I've become the photo nazi of BYC, but, could you post a pic to show what you mean? I've no idea what that would look like.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
  5. TheMotherHen

Oct 10, 2009
    Yeah, that's what I had in mind. I also saw this kind too http://www.yesmag.ca/projects/bee.htmlwhich is pretty rustic looking. I could make it look cooler, I think. As for the bees.. won't they just come? Or do I have to buy them as well? I have never had one.. just thought it looked really neat - and any extra pollinators would be great for the garden!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  6. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    If you want to be natural and frugal, you can get cool pices of wood and drill the correct size holes in it in a grid! My mom saw someone selling such things for $20.00! Of course, you want to find interesting wood, etc. but that is a fun project, I think.

I have two Mason Bee houses, and they both work.

One is from Gardener's supply Co.

http://www.gardeners.com/Mason-Bee-House/37-481,default,pd.html

and one is from this local company,

http://www.knoxcellars.com/Merchant..._Code=KCNP&Product_Code=NSHL&Category_Code=SS

The little book they sell is fantastic, very easy to read and really informative, a teacher could do a nice series of lessons with the information in that book!

We love our little bees!

7. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    Oh, and Knox Cellars also sells the bees. I did buy them, the kids love checking the straws each day to see if they chewed out. We did attract some "wild" bees to our nests as well, though. The best thing to help the bee population in your yard is not to use pesticides.

8. TheMotherHen

Oct 10, 2009
    Oh, I never use pesticides. I don't use commercial fertilizers either. Ever. I even make my own fertilizer from my worm bin and compost pile. In fact, that's why I got chickens to begin with because I wanted their poop. I never had any idea how much I would grow to love them.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Thanks for posting the links!

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I've heard about these little guys! Make sure you don't set them up where guineas can get them.

Show us pics when you are done MotherHen!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by