Mason sand, 1/8-3/8" pea gravel, 1/4-3/4 river rock, or 3/4-1.5 rr?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickens in the Grove, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Chickens in the Grove

Chickens in the Grove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm building my first chicken coop and trying to figure out what to use in the run. I've heard that sand is the best choice, but the gravel company we use only sells mason sand and I've read that that's too fine. They also have 1/8-3/8" pea gravel, 1/4-3/4 river rock, and 3/4-1.5 river rock. We're planning on buying half a yard and all of them are within $2 of each other, so price and quantity isn't a problem.

We have a 4'x10' run that's mostly sitting on concrete (there's about 14" of dirt in the middle). My boyfriend wants to tamp gravel on top of the concrete and put sand on top of that. I know, I know, you shouldn't put gravel under sand! But, he figures that if he tamps it the sand won't wash out when it rains. I don't know if that's actually true, but oh well.

So, would any of the gravels work? Or should I find somewhere else to get a heavier sand?

2. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't understand why you want to put gravel on the concrete?

Yeah, the sand will surely be displaced by the gravel in time, no matter how hard you tamp it. Especially since this is river rock, for tamping you want crushed rock.

3. Chickens in the Grove

Chickens in the Grove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:At the very least, he wants to put gravel where the strip of dirt is. So, our real problem is what sand or gravel to put in the main part of the run. Our gravel company only has is mason sand, 1/8-3/8" pea gravel, 1/4-3/4 river rock, or 3/4-1.5 river rock. If fine gravel doesn't work as well as sand, we can find another company that has a heavier sand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by