mass death

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by theFowlFamily, Apr 20, 2012.

1. theFowlFamily

theFowlFamily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Oklahoma
    This morning we discovered that 16 of our 2 week old meat birds died during the night! I have no clue what happened. We have 2 brooders and all the birds in the other brooder were just fine. The temp was the same in each brooder and there no sign yesterday that any of them were sick. Anybody have a similar experience or anyone who knows what might have happened?

2. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    First, let me say I'm really sorry. Once they are past 5 days I relax a little bit. Finding that pile of 2-week old birds would be an emotional event.

It's hard to do anything other than guess without seeing your setup. Any chance there's a draft in one brooder? Maybe there is a problem with both brooders and you got lucky with the other one.

16 of how many?

3. theFowlFamily

Apr 7, 2012
    Oklahoma
    it was 16 out of 28. There is a chance there's a draft as the boards warp. I will check on that. The birds where scattered throughout the brooder so it wasn't like they were huddled together because they were cold. SUCH a bummer! The birds in this brooder don't seem to be eating as well as the other brooder also.

4. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    No, if they weren't piled up I doubt it's a draft. I don't think 12 birds could smother 16.

Any puncture marks at all on them? Small needle-like marks on the necks?

5. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    I feel your pain. On Monday while I was gone on a field trip with my son apparently the electricity went off. We lost 48 out of 100. When I got back the electricity was on, so I was at a lose as to what happened. I've never had a lose like this and knew it wasn't my husbandry. Then I found out from a neighbor that the electricity had been out for him. Our temps dropped pretty significantly that day too. They are still so naked at that age that almost any mishap is damaging. I use cardboard around the brooding area to keep drafts down. Old boxes work great as they can be fitted together to work well and they are cheap.

I've since moved the broilers in near my pet turkeys in the greenhouse. Even when it's cold outside it's much warmer in there. I've lost none since and the temps have gotten pretty low. The only problem I'm having is the turkeys want to know what I'm doing all the time and might peck the chicks.

6. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    very sorry for yout loss

you say scattered

could it be over heating possibly

7. theFowlFamily

Apr 7, 2012
    Oklahoma
    great idea about using cardboard. I know that the power didn't go out. It's such a mystery. I'm so sorry about your loss too! It makes me think twice about getting another batch this spring.

8. theFowlFamily

Apr 7, 2012
    Oklahoma
    my husband burried all of them this morning so I'm not sure if they had punctures on their necks. I could dig them up. What would the punctures be from?

9. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    a skunk would leave puncture marks.. They suck their blood and do mass killings.

10. theFowlFamily

Apr 7, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Good news!! The owner of our hatchery is replacing ALL the chicks we lost +4! He had no obligation to do this. He is just GOOD PEOPLE! If you are looking for a wonderful hatchery who considers his customers to be "Friends FIRST" contact them! I can't say enough about how helpful they have been to us newbies! www.countryhatchery.net

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by