Mass or tumor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinklove6, Jan 6, 2015.

1. pinklove6

pinklove6 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    Eat Tennessee
    [​IMG]

Our poor Anna has a mass on her face. It was soft but is now hard. I have held warm wet compresses on it. It affects her eye sometimes. Makes it weep and you can tell she is having a hard time seeing. Her one side of breathing gets runny too. She is not growing like her sister or laying eggs like her. She acts normal. She eats, drinks and plays. Any suggests plz? I don't like the one I keep getting from people around here :( If Else and Anna is any indication that these are not just chickens lol thank you for any help

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Would it be possible for you to get a close-up picture of her face? Tumors tend to be firm, while an abscess tends to feel soft and squishy. Pus does harden into a cheese-like mass after time in chickens. Do you notice a bad smell from her face that could be infectious coryza? A runny nose makes it sound more like a respiratory infection, but that lesion really sticks out like it could be a tumor. How does the eye look--is it swollen, closed, have bubbles or pus inside? Have you tried any antibiotics, such as Tylan or sulfa drugs? I would think that having a vet to examine her, or take a needle biopsy would be best. Has the mass grown quickly?

3. pinklove6

Jan 6, 2015
    Eat Tennessee

It started off small and soft. I am not sure if it popped or sissy popped it for her and started to go down. but then started growing again but hard this time. Her eye weeps but is clear and her nose is just on that same side. That's what I was thinking at first was it was an infection that maybe clogged something. I haven't tried antibiotics yet other than co-op I don't really have anyone to close to look at her. That I can find anyway. People I do talk to aren't helpful :( " its just a chicken"

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally or as a shot into the breast muscle daily for 3-5 days if you want to treat as a respiratory infection. Dosage is 0.2 ml or cc per pound of weight given daily for 5 days if treating orally. Get some syringes (3 cc/ml) and some needles (22 gauge.) Remove the needle if giving orally. If it is a tumor, it will likely get bigger. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

5. pinklove6

Jan 6, 2015
    Eat Tennessee
    [​IMG][​IMG]

She was already sleeping so won't keep her eyes open while sitting still lol the scab part keeps getting bigger as well

6. pinklove6

Jan 6, 2015
    Eat Tennessee
    Thank you so much! I will try that. Not only am I worried and don't want her to suffer but the girls are so upset about her :(

7. Areolyn

Areolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    My that is very frightening, I really hope she gets better :(
    Do you have any other symptoms you've observed?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds a little brutal, but you could also try to lance the swollen area, squeeze it a bit, and see if you get out any solid cheesy pus, or if it just bleeds. You will need an extra pair of hands for that though. It's really tough when you can't get veterinary help or advice when you need it. If you have large animals, some people say their large animal vet sometimes will treat chickens.

I just saw the new pictures--is that scabs on the bump, or it is dried secretions?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  9. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    That looks like an abcess at first glance.

10. pinklove6

Jan 6, 2015
    Eat Tennessee

its a scab I thought but it got bigger with the mass and even with the wet comptess I can't soften it to get it off ? I wondered about lancing it to see if it might drain when it was soft. Then it got hard. My son can help. Yes it is :( I thought with more people having chickens here there would be people to ask but people think I'm crazy and spoil them. These are for eggs and I eat chicken but these are more pets and we love animals and even if they were for meat I don't want them to suffer. Its a fine line especially with the kids.

I was thinking an abcess till it got hard but now I'm leaning back toward it and hoping that's what it is and antibiotics and lancing will get her back on the right track :) if not we have tried for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by