Mass or unabsorbed yolk in 48 hr old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CheriK, Mar 9, 2012.

1. CheriK

CheriK Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Northern California
    Sorry if this is not the correct forum; I wasn't sure if this should go in the baby chicks section or here!

Picked up our second batch of chicks at the feed store yesterday. I just found this evening that one of the chicks has a dark, eraser-sized mass on her abdomen. Veruca is a Wyandotte, hatched on Wednesday. Active, eating, drinking, pooping normally. Has gained weight in the 24 hours we've had her (no, I'm not that nervous a new chick mommy; we homeschool our kids and they are tracking growth w/ daily weighings ;-). I thought it was a tick at first, but it's clearly attached. Tried to take a picture, but can't get close enough to see it without it being too fuzzy to see.

The others (2 days old or 9 days old, no other Wyandottes) have a small firm spot in the same area, so I'm wondering if it's the navel . . . is it called a navel in chicks? The only descriptions I've found that sound like even a possibility is unabsorbed yolk, but would it look very dark red or black? Since Veruca seems fine, should I do anything beyond keeping an eye on it?

Thanks,
    Cheri

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    A couple of the last chicks I hatched had a small dark "mass" like you are talking about. I think it may be something to do with the yolk, but I'm not sure. All I know is that the same chicks are thriving two months later, so I wouldn't worry about it [​IMG]

3. CheriK

Mar 4, 2012
    Northern California
    Thank you. I will try to not worry about it. I would love to find some photos that look like it, though, just to know for certain what it is! I did find some of open "navels" and it's clearly not that, so maybe just some extra tissue retained from closing the connection to the yolk?

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That is a hernia. Hopefully, the blackening doesn't mean it is strangulated because if it is then it doesn't look good for the chick. You can try to attach a tiny round bandaid over it to pop it back in, but I don't know if that will prove to be any help.

Sorry. Good luck with it.

5. CheriK

Mar 4, 2012
    Northern California
    Hi CMV,

Thanks for your idea. It doesn't really look like a hernia (based on photos from here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/566513/chick-with-hernia, which look like. . . stuff that should be inside on the outside). This is dry and does not look necrotic, like I'd expect a strangulated hernia to appear. So I'm still hopeful that it's something more benign. I can't imagine if it's really herniated she could live. . .

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Could it be the umbilical? That sounds awfully big though. When I have seen it, it is black but tiny.

Oh! Eraser! I was visualizing a large hand-held eraser!!! Do you mean pencil eraser???

If so, then that is the umbilical and it will fall off by itself.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  7. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    The "masses" that mine had were black and pencil-eraser sized. I assume that's CheriK meant.
    They definitely weren't hernias and the did disappear after the chicks were a few days old.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes! That is what I have seen. That is the umbilicus, I have read on BYC. I have only seen it once or twice.

9. CheriK

Mar 4, 2012
    Northern California
    LOL! Yes, I meant pencil eraser sized. Sorry, should have been clearer. Now I have an image of a poor tiny baby dragging around a big Pink Pearl eraser. . .

It DOES look like an umbilical stump, now that you mention it. It's not bothering her but it still hasn't fallen off. We'll keep an eye on it and I will still try to get photos. It's been so helpful to me to see photos of various chick issues as I'm searching the forums.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by