Massachusetts chick people- when to go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jilliankn, May 20, 2019.

1. jilliankn

jilliankn Chirping

Hi! I’m in central Mass and wondering at what age you all put your babies out in a coop? I know they should be fully feathered, but if I put the brooder plate out, could they go out on warm nights?

I have a good few weeks before their coop is even completed, but just wanted to get them out as soon as I can so they’re not stuck in the house too long. I have 6 in an XL dog crate right now. I just feel that when they get a little bigger that they would be happier outside.

trumpeting_angel and DobieLover like this.
  2. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    I put my chicks out at 7 weeks 6 weeks ago in michigan weather!

jilliankn likes this.
  3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Mine have been in the built in brooder in the coop since they arrived from the hatchery. They have a brooder plate. I just finished the run that connects to the brooder on Sunday and opened the pop door. They had a blast. Most of them are 4 weeks old today. Two of them are 3 weeks old today.
    I'm in NY. The lowest temp the chicks were out running around their brooder in was 28F and they were less than a week old that day.
    Brooder run Fabio.jpg Chicks in brooder run.jpg

trumpeting_angel and jilliankn like this.
  4. jilliankn

jilliankn Chirping

Awesome! I guess I’ll be letting them out as soon as I finish the coop! Right now they are hopping and flying onto each other so I really want to maximize their space! Thank you!

DobieLover and trumpeting_angel like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: