Massacre at My House

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katt577, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Katt577

Katt577 New Egg

May 10, 2010
    Wellsville
    All has been well. Started with 14 chicks...17 weeks later there are 2 roosters and 12 hens. That was until I got home today! Feathers everywhere. So many feathers! I will probably never know what happened but we found 6 all good, 1 confirmed dead (no damage, no blood, no missing feathers), just dead. Missing are 1 polish rooster, 3 buff orp hens and 1 white rock hens. That leaves 2 Reds...Found but maimed. One has a puncture wound through its ribs and missing feathers on its back, the other is issing a chunk of tail feathers and skin. I cleaned the wounds with peroxide and and coated with triple antibiotic ointment. I also separated them from everyone else. Question...Is there anything else I can do for them. What should I look out for. I am devasted and sad and I miss my flock but I want to take the best care of the ones I have left.

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    so sorry to hear of such losses. what kind of preds do you have where you live.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sounds dog like. they kill what runs & then pick the one they want.

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. Sounds like a dog or dogs maybe. Hope you find it and dispatch it....

5. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Were they free-ranging at that time, or in a run? If in a run, work to make sure it's REALLY secure.

Tighten up the defences and try again.

Sorry for your loss. Been there, done that with the massacre thing - it's not fun. [​IMG]

6. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    does sound like dogs or coyotes. Hope what you have left makes it.

7. gamamachik

gamamachik Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    Sounds like dogs [​IMG] so sorry for your loss, that is hard to come home to that..[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  8. Katt577

Katt577 New Egg

May 10, 2010
    Wellsville
    I haven't seen anything around. But I know there are foxs, coyotes, hawks around. I never see dogs in the yard other than mine. They were free ranging at the time. We've been leaving them out for weeks. I expected an occational kill. But 5 completely gone with only a few piles of feathers and 2 injured was worse than I would have ever expected.

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Not coyotes, they grab and go. I've lost a few to them and seldom find more then a few feathers unless I'm able to track it aways and then 10-20 yards back into the bush there will be a big pile. The neighbor got a new dog a few weeks ago (gone now) and she got one of my young roos, I'm sure it would have been more if I hadn't been home, but the amount of feathers that came off that poor bird in just a few minutes was amazing. I'd check around with the neighbors, chances are good one of their dogs came home with a "squeaky toy" (that's how dogs see chickens) and hopefully they'll be as good about it as my neighbors were.

10. Katt577

Katt577 New Egg

May 10, 2010
    Wellsville
    My three buffs are gone, but I found no buff feathers anywhere. Does anyone think they might come back tomorrow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by