Massacred :(

-Kiwi-

eepy thing =w=
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2020
your walls ;3
I got home last night and my dog came running up to meet me. My dog is supposed to be in his kennel.

I ran into the back field where the chickens are kept and saw absolute carnage. Feathers everywhere, blood spattered on the leaves, and chicken carcasses all around.

Two were still alive. One was actually the young peafowl my silkie hen had hatched and raised over the summer but she was so bloody and torn up she wasn't even recognizable. The second was my favorite hen of all time, Red Raggles. Both were in severe states of shock, limp and barely breathing. Three other chickens were dead, two roosters and one of my beloved silkies.

The little peafowl had a bleeding head wound so I used a napkin to try to stop the bleeding. It eventually stopped, but she was barely conscious, twitching occasionally and barely breathing.

At first glance Red Raggles seemed in better shape, but she was wheezing and seemed extremely disoriented. I put both of them in boxes near a heat lamp to recover. We lost the peafowl within the hour. She simply faded away quietly in the night.
Red Raggles had some kind of liquid dripping from her beak but I was afraid to clean it in case I made things worse. She was out of it and once I went to check on her and she panicked or had a seizure or something. She kicked and flapped and jerked as hard as she could and so I grabbed her and quickly wrapped her tightly in a towel so that she didn't hurt herself. She pooped once while she was inside and it was very wet and runny.
I woke up in the middle of the night and she was gone. :(

I feel devastated that this happened and I wonder what I could do better in the future. My dog is usually in his kennel while I am gone because he is known to attack birds only when I am gone so I take measures to make sure he's never loose. He had FORCED the door open and bent the solid metal to get out. Now half my beautiful flock is dead. I'm going to miss those silly birds. Red Raggles was always the one that stood outside the door pecking the window, wanting to come inside. She was always the first to get into the things she shouldn't but always was there for you if you needed something warm and feathery to hug. She was my favorite for a reason.

Anyways, thanks for reading guys. You're all awesome :hugs

Kiwi..., where are you located (state)? I have serama and phoenix bantams; and a lot of other stuff too. If and when you'd like to get a few more birds, I'd be pleased to help you. I think you'd really like phoenix and be able to give them the little extra care they need. Phoenix I can give...
They are a beautiful, friendly bird that is unique among chickens. Below is my favorite white rooster; Trainy. He is elegant and reminds me of weddings.
ywpr.jpg

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions! It really means a lot to me. Yesterday we had a proper funeral for all the dead birds and I'm feeling better today.

My dog sure does have it figured out. He won't touch the chickens unless he knows we are going to be gone for awhile. And he's gotten one or two birds in the years past but he never killed them or even injured them. Of course, it's still not acceptable so that's why we have the kennel for him. I definatly need to make repairs.

My little silkie flock, which is cooped separatly from the rest for their own safety is down to two now :(. In my experience it seems like Silkies pair in twos, not like mates or anything but all the silkies in my past have had one best friend that they hang out with. Now both of those silkies have lost the other half of their pair. That little peahen was so protective of his mom. When she was incubating eggs, her adoptive daughter sat in the box with her for most of the day, only coming out to eat and drink. Poor things :(

:hitSo sorry for your loss. I can relate from losses I have had in the past. Often times it's the favorite birds we loose. I lost my most favorite bird from a fox when I was out with her and got distracted and thousands of times I have said to my self "if only I had put her back in her pen whille I was distracted." I'm glad I have a lot of pictures. You will still have some good memories. Good luck...

I'm so sorry for your losses!
One of our dogs got out a couple of years ago, and killed many of our birds, and it's just awful.
Redo your kennel situation, because this dog has it figured out, and needs a major fence upgrade. And have fencing for your birds too.
Adding electric fencing to your set up will help a lot! Pictures here might give us a chance to make suggestions. 'Never again!' Is the plan going forward.
Mary

That's odd, are you certain your dog is the one that killed them? Maybe he broke out to go after something else that was killing your chickens.
No it was definitely him. Once I was home when I heard a chicken screaming and I looked out the window and he had a hen by the legs and was chewing on her like she was a toy.
All chickens were wet with slobber and the dead ones had broken necks and bruises all over, like something with not very sharp teeth was gnawing on them.

One time the neighbor's dog came and killed a young cockerel after digging under the fence and Gadget (my dog) didn't chase him away even though he was outside. The neighbors dog could have had something to do with it but the fences were fortified and all holes filled after that incident.

Kiwi..., where are you located (state)? I have serama and phoenix bantams; and a lot of other stuff too. If and when you'd like to get a few more birds, I'd be pleased to help you. I think you'd really like phoenix and be able to give them the little extra care they need. Phoenix I can give...
They are a beautiful, friendly bird that is unique among chickens. Below is my favorite white rooster; Trainy. He is elegant and reminds me of weddings.View attachment 2921140
Thanks for the kind offer, I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to wait awhile before getting new chickens. Your roo is so pretty! I've always wanted Seramas but they've always been out of my price range :(

Back
Top Bottom