Massillon ohio, NEW to this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jbolander, Apr 2, 2016.

1. jbolander

jbolander New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    I'm from massillon Ohio and my husband is the handyman. I also sell barns and Sheds. I always have customers come in asking for chicken coops, which we don't sell. So naturally I suggested to my husband to start building them. He built a 4'x8' with 4 nesting boxes..

Any suggestions who big he should start? How many nesting boxes would you suggest?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! There really are no set figures for coops as keepers require different things depending on what they have and would like to keep in them. Please do pop by the coop section for some good ideas and plans. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Good luck :D

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally, one nest box for 3 hens is sufficient. Hens tend to use the same nest box, they see another has used. Even if they have identical ones to choose from. Probably something to do with them being "bird brains."

The coops section should give a lot of ideas - mainly coops need to be both draft free AND well ventilated - the descriptions with coops may show how that is accomplished. Most chickens can handle cold better than heat - so heat is not necessary.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Maybe DH could make a range of coops. Sheds make very good coops, so thats one option where the interior could be according to a clients needs.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by