Massive chicken eggs?

ChickyWhicky

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 19, 2022
Iowa, USA
My hens just started laying a few weeks ago. They are approximately 6 months old. I have several breeds so I am not sure who is laying these massive eggs. Ive found 2 so far and I just cant believe the size! I get 12-15 eggs a day and they are all small. Are the large eggs just a fluke? Will they eventually be a normal size? Should I be concerned?

Massive eggs :eek:
20220823_155834.jpg

Eggs from everybody else....
Screenshot_20220823-203041_Messages.jpg

Holy epidural Batman! You can put different colored lipstick around the chickens vents to see who lays what. Or sit in your coop all day.

I guess I'm not too worried about WHO is laying them but like.... Are they ok? Should I be concerned for their health or is this just something that happens from time to time? Wondering if this is her norm or if they will go down in size....

Larger ones are probably double yolkers, not unusual for new layers.
And some birds lay larger eggs, right from the get-go.

I haven't cracked the 2 big boys yet but wouldn't doubt it! I've had small ones that are double yolkers, I know that's kind of a common thing for the youngsters when they first start laying. The little tiny double yolkers are so cute!
I guess one of my questions was, is this her norm egg size or are these just flukes?

I guess I'm not too worried about WHO is laying them but like.... Are they ok? Should I be concerned for their health or is this just something that happens from time to time? Wondering if this is her norm or if they will go down in size....
My new layers have done that a few times, along with the occasional fairy egg. It’s usually just a fluke.

I have a leghorn..dunno which. They're all 2 and occasionally she lays a double yolker and that sucker is the size of a duck egg I would say 😳 sometimes I think to myself..gee that would suck to pop out that monster.

Only time will tell.
As long as they are all eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.
Do you have any hybrid production type layers?

No hybrid production layers in my flock. Everybody seems healthy & happy!

Back
Top Bottom