Massive corn shortage expected in 2022. Tips for long term storage of feed?

Pics
I have a few pounds of wheat berries saved in storage in case things go south and have several garden beds as well.. wheat berries are quite easy to grow and I think ahould have some nutrients for a few birds. My flock is tiny though.
of the grains, due to its high protein levels (relatively), Wheat is one of the better choices.

I'd love to get ahold of some of the near-grain, tef. But its not suited to a lot of US climates (may not be suited to mine, either - too much rain).

Blue flax has done remarkably well here - surprised the _____ out of me. My clovers, sadly, have not done as well. neither has the alfalfa.

Rice is grown here, but since the state has cut water to rice farmers so much this year the farmers say it’s impossible to grow at that ration amount allowed. So they won’t be planting it on many farms.

Rice is grown here, but since the state has cut water to rice farmers so much this year the farmers say it’s impossible to grow at that ration amount allowed. So they won’t be planting it on many farms.
I do not know how true it is, but I have heard that the California almond crop is one of the most water intensive crops per pound of yield still big in your state. While it does not affect us in terms of chicken feed, if I were making a choice about where to spend water, the Almond Orchards would not be it. Of course water rights west of the Mississippi are a mess oh, and no matter what, it is ultimately up to a judge to decide.

I figure the two big population areas will get their way until everything breaks in the state. The city folk in them are not good at sharing, don’t seem to understand food needs water to be produced plant or animal… think they can import everything… cheap 😂… while creating a logistics nightmare here. No water = No food, No Commercial Drivers = No Food, No Public Transportation including School Buses, No Power Plants = No Energy and so on… people here live in fantasy land… I think LA is up to $8.00 a gallon for unleaded now… No gas because no one can afford it = No employees doing crap jobs for low pay.

Just watching my state tail spin, and people don’t get it. When it hits it will hit hard. Anyway only getting pricier here for everything.

Back
Top Bottom