Massive incoming grain and food shortages

Pics

Opiumbrella

Songster
Jul 30, 2021
So we’re globally in a bad way in terms of grain and food supplies and it is only getting worse.
Been preparing for not being able to buy feed and thought some people may like to know what that looks like.
First I have set up several bsfl breeding tubs, as those are a great source of food.
Planting things like nasturtium, and cucumbers and other grazing foods for the summer, like love lies bleeding, and other major seed producers.
I’m planting millet, and will harvest that too use during the winter, as well as drying fruits and veggies to rehydrate, for them also. I’ve set up an area I can grow spinach and kale type plants all year round as well for calcium. I’m growing peanuts and black oil sunflowers for the cold months as well.
I’ve stocked up on oyster shell so that I have some calcium supplementation to offer as well. And have been stocking up on things like antibiotics/anti fungal/anti parasitic and first aid supplies for the livestock just in case. And am growing and harvesting medicinal herbs like oregano, yarrow, devils claw, calendula, marigold, etc.
Is there anyone else worrying/watching what is happening, and do you have any suggestions On keeping a healthy flock in times of crisis?

So we’re globally in a bad way in terms of grain and food supplies and it is only getting worse.
Been preparing for not being able to buy feed and thought some people may like to know what that looks like.
First I have set up several bsfl breeding tubs, as those are a great source of food.
Planting things like nasturtium, and cucumbers and other grazing foods for the summer, like love lies bleeding, and other major seed producers.
I’m planting millet, and will harvest that too use during the winter, as well as drying fruits and veggies to rehydrate, for them also. I’ve set up an area I can grow spinach and kale type plants all year round as well for calcium. I’m growing peanuts and black oil sunflowers for the cold months as well.
I’ve stocked up on oyster shell so that I have some calcium supplementation to offer as well. And have been stocking up on things like antibiotics/anti fungal/anti parasitic and first aid supplies for the livestock just in case. And am growing and harvesting medicinal herbs like oregano, yarrow, devils claw, calendula, marigold, etc.
Is there anyone else worrying/watching what is happening, and do you have any suggestions On keeping a healthy flock in times of crisis?
I'm glad that you brought this topic up, because maybe we do need to prepare for this. It doesn't seem that anyone else is going to do it for you, you know.

I'm concerned about the war in Ukraine will affect the global grain supplies, primarily wheat, corn and barley since they are one of the largest exporters. President Zelensky has asked their farmers to not fight or flee, just continue to farm.
Not just there but in several South America countries , where the next largest supplies come from, there is a severe drought dropping their output by 30%or more.

I ordered enough feed to be able to feed my birds and chicks hopefully until the end of the year. I will buy some bags here and there to keep enough on hand for early next year as well. A lot of the show breeders here in Germany are ordering huge amounts of feed.
Be careful, I had been using purina, and got almost 20 bags of rotten feed. Like, not feed that had rotted in the bag, but that was made with moldy/spoiled ingredients. I can only assume that it was stuck in shipping due to supply chain issues (the grain) and molded, and they didn’t want to lose money so they used it anyways. Also even in the best conditions, pellet feed is only really storable for a few months. Especially over warmer and wetter seasons. Dry/cold conditions longer, but not much. And you don’t want to spend a ton on feed you can’t use when you need it. Thankfully I found a local company (beaver) that has amazing feed, and who also has a center that will hand mix any special types you want, or sell you anything in bulk for great prices as well. Which is great for now. And I will never use purina again. That’s for sure.

For those buying bulk quantities of things like corn or oats, how do you store it?

Be careful, I had been using purina, and got almost 20 bags of rotten feed. Like, not feed that had rotted in the bag, but that was made with moldy/spoiled ingredients. I can only assume that it was stuck in shipping due to supply chain issues (the grain) and molded, and they didn’t want to lose money so they used it anyways. Also even in the best conditions, pellet feed is only really storable for a few months. Especially over warmer and wetter seasons. Dry/cold conditions longer, but not much. And you don’t want to spend a ton on feed you can’t use when you need it. Thankfully I found a local company (beaver) that has amazing feed, and who also has a center that will hand mix any special types you want, or sell you anything in bulk for great prices as well. Which is great for now. And I will never use purina again. That’s for sure.

I had similar issues although with a different brand. The mill dates were really old though so I don't know whether mine was bad ingredients or just sat too long before reaching the store. I also switched to a locally produced feed recently because of that. I'm now worried though that if shortages get added on top of the existing supply chain stuff, the local feed might also become hard to get. Everyone still using the big brands with ancient mill dates will surely be looking for an alternative if shelves start going bare in a more serious way.

Back
Top Bottom