1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Massive wound in neck - what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GreenRunner, May 3, 2016.

1. GreenRunner

GreenRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    London
    I bought a couple of new hens on Sunday and put them in a small quarantine pen together - all was fine. I had eggs and there was no trouble at all yesterday. I went to check on them today and one hen had this HUGE gaping hole in her neck. I have NO idea how to started - whether the other hen just went in on her, or whether a mouse got in and bit her and then the hens saw blood and pecked (I expect the other hen just pecked till there was blood and then just went into a frenzy).

Anyhow, I've separated her, flushed the wound with a sterile saline solution and left her. She's eating and drinking and seems fine. However, as you can see, that's a HUGE hole...that, there, in the middle is actually the inside of her neck. [​IMG]

What to do now? Should I snip back the feathers around the wound? I've some stuff saying it shouldn't be stitched or glued because the wound could be too old now. However, how on earth will that ever knit back together?!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Apply antibiotic ointment (without the pain killers) and it should heal well, but it will take time. Such wounds heal from the outside inward. Granulation tissue forms around the outside edges and gradually covers the wound. Make sure that flies do not lay eggs in the wound.

1 person likes this.
  3. GreenRunner

Jun 28, 2015
    London
    Wow. That's quite some healing process! Thanks for the advice. So far she seems pretty happy; just laid an egg. Do you think I should cut back the feathers? Could reduce infection risk?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Again in my experience , skin wounds rarely become infected in birds (high body temperature ?). Punctures are another story.

5. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    You will be surprised how tough chickens are. Sourland is right.however I prefer blue kote as it deters picking b/c it masks the red blood.

6. GreenRunner

Jun 28, 2015
    London
    Oh, that's interesting. It could well be the high body temperatures. Well, we'll see how we go then. I'd would LOVE to be able to nurse her back. As I said, I bought her only a couple of days ago for my laying flock so I really hope she makes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by