Massive Yellow Mass in Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henryholub, Dec 4, 2012.

1. henryholub

henryholub Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Altus
    This morning a chicken came out of the coop walking a little funny. I picked her up to look her over, but smelled the problem almost as soon as I saw it. Now...what problem am I seeing/smelling. Is this Coryza? A bacteria infection in her eye? I put her on a broad spectrum anti-biotic, but still want to know what the heck is up. I spent half of my lunch break trying to dislodge the mass from her eye socket, but couldn't get it to come out. I only managed to break off small pieces. Any advice is really, really appreciated. Drop some knowledge on me! Here's a picture
    [​IMG]

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Oh gosh! your poor hen,

Prayers coming your way, also I am bumping you!

3. kensho52

kensho52 New Egg

Oct 16, 2012
    Lowell, Oregon
    I had something like that this morning with my SFH cockerel. He was a little lethargic (sleeping against the feeder) so I picked him up and saw the "white stuff". To my untrained eye, I thought he had a piece of food that was kicked into his eye that had swelled up because of the tears, etc.

Anyway, I anesthetized him (on his back with tummy rubs - nitey nite), opened his eye and my wife (a nurse) got it out with the edge of a kleenex. Then I was able to get a reasonable sized lump out again, and it appeared clean. I woke him up and he seems to be using both eyes and is perkier.

I really don't know what it is but I keep eyes on these guys 4 times a day at least, so this happened over night. They were all three just fine last night.

I would think about putting the bird to sleep as above and soaking the eye with a warm moist towel and see if you can free up the stuff.

This is only a suggestion to make the bird more comfortable. What it is, I don't know.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When mine get one of those, I use tweezers and keep picking at it until it's all gone. Some are harder to get out and some go deep into the sinus cavity, but it can be done.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Forgot to mention, it might bleed a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by