1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Massively swollen breast-Emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raisedbywolves, May 16, 2011.

1. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves New Egg

May 16, 2011
    So I've got a golden comet chick (4-5 weeks old), her breasts are so swollen that she cannot get up. She's been eating chick starter from the feed store. I noticed two days ago, but after reading posts just thought her crop was swollen so I let it go. But now it is worse and she hasn't gotten up at all today. Her breasts are very puffy, maybe fluid filled.

She is separated now, but I'm worried about her already passing something on to my other chicks.
    thanks for any advice

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves New Egg

May 16, 2011
    this morning she was a least standing (which she didn't do at all yesterday), but still very lethargic and extremely swollen. Her poop is firm and black.

3. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    I wish I knew! try searching it in the search box on this website... I have a chicken with ascites from what I have read on here! I have got to drain her today so send prayers for you becasue I know how you feel![​IMG]

4. Hopeful Peacock

Hopeful Peacock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    middle TN
    I wish I knew what to tell you. I have a 4 week old chick this Am whose breast was super swollen. I picked her up and the pressure of that pushed water out her beak and it smelled like strawberries! (They had strawberries for a treat the last 2 days). I gently squeezed as much of the water out as I could (it was lot!). then I massaged her cop and fed her some olive oil. But I don't know if it's the same thing as your chick and I don't know even if it will work with mine! Good luck!

5. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves New Egg

May 16, 2011
    thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by