Mastiff/Dogue De Borduex with Dudley Nose In AZ needs sunscreen advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FlockEweFarm, Jun 28, 2008.

1. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I just took in a 10 month old, beautiful Neopolitan Mastiff/Dogue De Bordeux cross [​IMG] , and besides being a bit of a wuss, he also has a dudley nose, that is already a scary shade of pink. I had thought about using blukote on him to protect him from the intense rays at this altitude, but I am worried about the toxicity. He is a beautiful mouse colored boy, and I am loving his temperment,(scared to death of the chickens and goats, so far) but I dont want to keep a nearly 150lb dog in the house forever, so any dog lovers out there got any suggestions? It needs to be waterproof because he dunks his entire face in the water bucket and blows bubbles when he drinks.

FINALLY!!! A PICTURE OF FERGUS!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Zinc oxide ointment, all the lifeguards use to put it on their noses because it wouldn''t wash off. Same thing as in Desitin. Or Bull Frog, waterproof sun lotion spf 50 something.

3. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    I believe regular waterproof sunscreen is safe. I've never heard of Blu-Kote but I looked it up and it doesn't seem to have any sun-protecting properties. It says to keep away from face and mucous membranes also. I don't know if I'd take the chance.

4. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I love both those breeds! [​IMG]

Did you check with your vet for any suggestions? They can at least tell you what to avoid because of possible ingestion and toxicity.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Use a very high SPF baby sunscreen that covers UVA and UVB rays.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh you can't tell us all that and NOT post a picture...... [​IMG]

7. FlockEweFarm

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:MEEE TOOO!! This is my kind of dog, and the owners were in a real bind due to housing issues and the heat was just melting the poor guy, so I couldnt say no. Intergrating him into the pack was a bit of a challenge, and my neurologist is going to kick my butt when he sees me again on tuesday, because I got jerked across the yard by first my bloodhound who wanted to eat him, and then him when he was trying to get away from the birddog who seems determined to terrorize him by constantly barking at him, but he is worth it. he is laying at my feet in the house right now, and will be seeing the vet on Monday to get neuterd and a checkup, so I will check then about toxicity. Right now, I am in LOVE, and my bloodhound has already accepted him as part of the pack....hes soo cool. [​IMG]

8. FlockEweFarm

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I just figured out how to do the avatar thingy, [​IMG] so as soon as I figure out how to add a picture, I will post one or a dozen or so. He was out in the yard playing with my hounddog, and I made the mistake of getting in the way, it was like getting hit by a couple of linebackers![​IMG]

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I love your Bloodhound! I'm on my second one and could never be without one!

10. FlockEweFarm

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Cara, That is my first big sweetie, and I love him more than any dog I have ever had. I got him as a rescue, and as a therapy dog for my son with Downs, and as it turns out, he has been the best therapy for me. When they brought up the mastiff today, I told them that he could only stay, if he got along with Earl, and a few hours later, they are doing fine, but the testosterone is soo thick you could cut it with a knife.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by