Match the egg to the hen!

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
My three girls last distinctly different eggs. Brown, khaki greenish-tan, and blue-green.
20230221_140503.jpg

Here are the suspects...all mixed breeds.

Eenie. My smallest lady, with no truly distinguishing features. But she's sweet. I suspect she's the khaki layer.
Screenshot_20230221_185222_Gallery.jpg

Meanie. She has the look of an Easter Egger, right? I'm guessing her for the blue green.
20230214_103040.jpg

And finally, Sheba. In the sun she's greenish-black and has a lovely laced chest. I'm guessing her for the brown.
20230214_103118.jpg

Any other guesses? I'm basing my guesses on very little as these are my first ever chickens. :)

That seems about right, your first two should be the green/blue eggs as they are “Easter eggers”. You can tell by the green feet. Other than that, if you really wanted to know I would watch them when I see them in the nesting boxes.
Agreed. And in addition to green legs, the first 2 have pea combs. But there's no way to know which lays green and which blue, unless you 1) Watch and wait to see who lays which color in a nestbox 2) Apply two different food color dyes to the vents of each Easter Egger. When they lay, their eggs will be stained with telltale matching colors.

That seems about right, your first two should be the green/blue eggs as they are “Easter eggers”. You can tell by the green feet. Other than that, if you really wanted to know I would watch them when I see them in the nesting boxes.
You know, I never really noticed their leg color! Meanie has the feathery face i think of with Easter Eggers. Eenie does not.
20221114_204348.jpg

I have Easter Eggers with fluffy cheeks and beards that lay green, and smooth faced Easter Eggers that lay blue. (All have pea combs). Though it would seem logical to guess Meanie is your blue egg layer since she more closely resembles an Ameraucana, that isn't necessarily the case. And btw, for these to be your first ever 3 hens, you definitely got a variety of beautiful egg colors. All 3 shades are gorgeous!

I have Easter Eggers with fluffy cheeks and beards that lay green, and smooth faced Easter Eggers that lay blue. (All have pea combs). Though it would seem logical to guess Meanie is your blue egg layer since she more closely resembles an Ameraucana, that isn't necessarily the case. And btw, for these to be your first ever 3 hens, you definitely got a variety of beautiful egg colors. All 3 shades are gorgeous!
I know! Just luck of the draw. They were given to me by a farmer barely feathered out, along with a white and gold colored rooster, that we thought was another pullet at the time. I would have been happy regardless, but the colors are such fun.

Back
Top Bottom