Matching Polish Trio

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 4-Hmom, Aug 23, 2010.

1. 4-Hmom

4-Hmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2009
    Toledo, Ohio
    My son has 4 silverlaced polish for his 4-H project and we need to sell one of the roosters but can't decide which one to keep. If I can figure out how to post the pics, I will and hopefully someone can give me thier opinion. One pic is of one of the hens (both match) one rooster has more white in the head than the other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Personally I always keep a spare Roo, just incase.

But if you can only keep one roo,the I would keep the one with the least amount of peppering/smutt.
    [​IMG]

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Here's an immutable law of poultry breeding: if you keep 2 males they'll both be fine, if you keep only one male he'll die. Happens almost every time.
    That said, if you really have to cut down to only one male I'd keep the one with the darker crest. His overall colour is better & the peppering isn't as big a concern as the absence of black in the other bird.

4. 4-Hmom

4-Hmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2009
    Toledo, Ohio
    Thanks. I do still have another goldlaced rooster but it's to another trio. I was thinking the darker one too but I thought that the white headed one was cute and wasn't sure if it was the better choice for his trio. Thank you very much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by